– Looks like an old one, ’cause it looks like an old cartoon, but I’ve never heard of if it is. – (FBE) So, Cuphead is what’s called a run and gun style platformer. It has you taking control of the character on the left.
His name is Cuphead and you’re going to be defeating enemies to save Cuphead’s soul from the Devil. – The Devil? – Saving souls from the Devil? That’s my business. – (FBE) So, we’re gonna teach you how to play this game off-screen and then we’re gonna let you just have a go at some of the opening levels of the game and see how you do. – This is not solitaire, is it?
You know, I’m up for it. I’m up for the challenge. – So far, I’ve been very bad at games. I don’t expect I’ll be better at this one. – Yeah, let’s do it! – ♪ (ragtime music) ♪ – It’s ragtime.
– Press it? Okay. – “The Root Pack in Botanic Panic.” – “Botanic” means plants, flowers. “Panic” is getting scared, as far as I can tell.
– It’s great graphics. I mean, it is like an old cartoon. – (FBE) And we’re gonna have you play the simple difficulty so you can at least have a fighting chance. – Thank you. – Here we go.
– (announcer) A brawl is surely brewing. – Okay, ready. – Hey, turn around. – Why isn’t the gun working?
– Well, that was quick. – Ah, you have to hit them lots of times. Well, that’s not fair. – Okay, go to retry? – (announcer) Now, go!
– Oh! – How am I supposed to get by there? Wait, how am I– why doesn’t he move any further? – Why is it not hitting and killing these things? – Oh, son of a gun.
They’re not dying. – (laughs) Whoops, I’m supposed to stay there. – (laughs) I’m dying really quickly. – Come on, you son of a gun. Oh, I jumped too soon. – Little further.
– Whoa, I killed him! Uh oh, what is this? – How do I turn him?
– Ahh! (laughs) I got carrots coming at me! Oh, I got killed by a giant carrot! – Do I have to start from the beginning every time? (sighs) I found a flaw.
– That’s fun. I mean, now I’m getting the hang of it a little bit, but it is tough. – Jump, jump, jump. (laughs) – That’s it. Why am I bouncing to the music? – Now I have to fight the carrot.
(laughing) I hit it. So, I have to turn that way. – Okay, I don’t understand the carrot.
– Oh, I jumped when I should have backed up. – (laughing) I shot the carrots! I got your baby carrot! (laughs) Oh, I don’t know, guys. That’s getting beyond my concentration level right now.
– Yeah, that’s tough. – The challenge. It’s a strategy. (laughs) That’s why I take it personally. – “Thretenin’ Zeppelin.” Finally reacting to something with “zeppelin” in the title.
– “Hilda Berg” Hilda Berg. “in Threatenin’ Zeppelin.” – I’m gonna be flying and shooting.
It’s gonna be fun, but I’m not gonna do well. – All right, here we go. – (announcer) This match will get red hot. It’s on. – It’s on.
– Man, they’re throwing a lot of stuff at you. – I’m back here. – Ah. – Whoops!
– Oh, I died. I didn’t even see that one. – Oh!
No one told me the “Ha’s” would kill you. – “Fitting, isn’t it? I’m a blimp, you’re a wimp.” Oh yeah?
(laughs) We’ll see about that. – (announcer) Now, go! – Whoops. Up there, keep shooting. Come on, die. They get very stubborn.
They don’t want to die. I died. – There you go. There you go.
Ah, oh! A little sneak attack from the back. – That was a big one, ooh. – Why won’t that die? – Oh, that wasn’t good. Oh, I got farther.
– Oh, I’m– That “Ha ha” keeps getting me. Oh, too far away. – Johnny, Johnny, what are you doing? You came too close to the Sun. – Come on.
Got you. – Kill it. Die! (laughs) I’m actually saying the guy should die. This is different. – Okay, you morphed.
All right, baby. I still died! – Oh, we got the bull, now. – Whoops, whoops, whoops. Got back over here. (laughs) Down, down, down.
(laughs) – The heck’s that? I didn’t know. Yeah, well. At least I got to the tornado. This one’s still tough either way. Well, with practice I could probably do better.
– “The Clip Joint Calamity.” – Oh dear. – (announcer) Here goes! – That’s a whole lot of folks. – There’s a big frog there. Oops!
– Oh, oh! (laughs) Oh, this one’s good. – Oh, I gotta jump.
That was the first one. That was just the first foray. – That’s a lot going on. – Okay, prepare to go down, froggies. – Where’s that? What are those?
– Come on. Come on, froggy. Oh! – (laughs) Just have to move faster.
– Shoot those guys! (laughs) Ah, it’s like I just had him in my sights and I already was in his. – There’s so much going on. It’s like when you get to the third or fourth level of Centipede and things are coming everywhere and they’re bouncing back off the bottom and you try and stay out of the way. – Whoops. (laughs) It’s very fast and I’m not so fast.
– Get that guy. What is so wrong about getting that guy!? Ah, ah, ah! (laughs) Oh, I can’t take many more hits! My shields are down!
– Up, up, up. Aww, that last bit got me. – It’s too much for me.
– I give up. (laughs) Do I have a white towel to throw in? – I’ll take all your fire ants!
Your little tadpoles! Get him! (laughs) Ah, no!
Oh, that’s it guys. My will to survive has been trampled upon. – I did enjoy that. That was fun.
It gets personal. I’m not gonna let this thing beat me. – It’s difficult, but I had a feeling that I could actually figure it out and maybe do it if I tried it off next. So I get the idea what am I supposed to do. – For young people, maybe it introduces them to cartoons of the past, which many haven’t been exposed to.
So, it’s opening up a whole new avenue for young people and then for people like myself, you know, older people. I think it’s great because then it takes us back. – Thanks for watching us play Cuphead on the React Channel. – Let us know what game we should try next down in the comments.
– Bye. – Hey everybody, Derek here, one of the React Channel producers. You know you can see behind the scenes of this episode and so many more if you go check out FBE2 Channel. They’ve got a vlog on there. You can see everything we do behind the scenes. It’s fantastic.
Go check it out!